As promised, here is the first part in a series of articles that will take a look back at the Competitions that have taken place this season. Stay tuned for the following three parts covering the other competitions followed by a full review of the SeasonÂ shortly.
After 29 weeks, this seasonâ€™s competition for the HDWSBBL League Cup drew to a end. The Hunts Havoc 2508/09 saw 17 teams compe to become the 3rd team to be recognised as the HDWSBBL league champions. For the first time in the history of the league there were four divisions as the pre-existing North and South Divisions where joined by the East and West Divisions as more and more teams wished to participate.
Sadly there was no sign of last seasons league champions, the Karak Smashers as they had left the league at the end of the 2507/08 season to go on a world tour. This enabled all teams to have a chance to be the champions.
From the very first game to the last, spectators all over the world were wowed with world class action. With over 58 games being played across 4 divisions it is hard to recap them all in detail here but there are some of the highlights.
North Division saw some of the bloodiest battles. With 5 teams competing, including former league champions the Loren Rangers it was sure to draw a lot of the attention. All 5 teams gave it their all with matches between the Beaumont Blitzers and the Wolf pack being some of the most ferocious the league has ever seen.
Highlights of East Division saw the official first match of the season between the returning Ragnars Swift Velocity taking on the new Tail Slammers (who where the official replacement for last years Skaven team, the Ankle Biters). History was made as RSV racked up an impressive 7-1 victory which sent shock waves through the league.
The Mc Cauligh Reavers managed to dominate the rest of the league stages, not losing a single game and only conceding 3 Touchdowns over their 6 league stage matches!
South Division was occupied by some of the heaviest hitters of the league. On paper the Amazon Perverse Maidens of Torture and the Human Middenehein Manhunters didnâ€™t stand a change against the Orc Brimstone Deadheads or the Orge Man Eaters but PMT took up the challenge and eventually became victorious. (of course the paper was correct in the case of the Manhunters who managed to break the record for the longest losing streak in the leagues history).
West Division was seen by some as the rookie division. With three of the four teams beginning their long Blood Bowl careers there was always only going to be one team that was going to be champion. The Lustrian Snake Queens dominated all in their path however the other teams managed to prove themselves and we expect big things from the Thunder Hammers and the Wee Tree Fellows in the future.
The FinalÂ saw two of theÂ leagues Dark Elf teams battle it out in their prime. After a lot of fierce competition the Corsairs eventually lifted the trophy with a 2-1 victory.
No competition would be complete without some awards being handed out!
- HDWSBBL League Cup Winner: Karond Kar Corsairs
- HDWSBBL League Cup Runner-Up: Mc Cauligh Reavers
- North Division Champions: Karond Kar Corsairs (Dark Elf)
- East Division Champions: Mc Cauligh Reavers (Dark Elf)
- Â South Division Champions: Perverse Maidens of Torture (Amazon)
- West Division Champions: Lustrian Snake Queens (Amazon)
- Team with most Touch Downs: Karond Kar Corsairswith 28 (NEW RECORD, previous record was 27 by the Strickland Slammers in the Open Scramble 2507/08)
- Team with most Casualties: Karond Kar Corsairswith 27 (NEW RECORD, previous record was 25 by the Strickland Slammers in the Open Scramble 2507/08)
- Team with most Completions: The Loren Rangerswith 29 (matched existing record set by the Loren Rangers in the Open Scramble 2507/08)
- Team with most Interceptions: Tutbone Re-Unitedwith 3 (NEW RECORD, previous record was 2 by the Strickland Slammers in the Open Scramble 2507/08)
- Player of the Competition: Takarath Balefire(Blitzer) of Karond Kar Corsairs with 44 SSP (NEW RECORD, previous record was 38 set by Snori Surehands of the Karak Smashers during the Open Scramble 2507/08)
- Player with most Touch Downs: Fredrick Roeder(Catcher) of Ragnars Swift Velocity with 12 (NEW RECORD, previous record was 10 set by Elesser Everlong of the Loren Rangers during the Open Scramble 2506/07)
- Player with most Casualties: Takarath Balefire(Blitzer) of Karond Kar Corsairs with 6(matched existing record set by Vorak Headsplitter of the Karak Smashers during the Open Scramble 2507/08)
- Player with most Completions: Erison Youngwhite (Thrower) of the Loren Rangers with 15(record is 20 set by Erison Youngwhite of the Loren Rangers in the Open Scramble 2507/08)
And for you statistics freaks:
- 58 games played in total
- 197 Touchdowns Scored (Average of 3.4 per match)
- 179 Casualties caused (Average of 3.1 per match)
- 187 Completions made (Average of 3.2 per match)
- 11 successful Interceptions (Average of 0.2 per match, or one every 5.3 matches)
- Match with Highest Attendance: Lustrian Snake Queens 1 vs Mc Cauligh Reavers 3(Semi-Final) with 80,000 fans on the 2nd April 2509.
- Match with Highest Attendance (non final or Semi): Ragnars Swift Velocity 0 vs Mc Cauligh Reavers 2(East Division) with 34,000 fans on the 16th October 2508.
- Match with most Touchdowns: Tail Slammers 1 vs Ragnars Swift Velocity 7(East Division) with 8 on the 4th of September 2508
- Match with most Casualties: Karond Kar Corsairs 4 vs The Man Eaters 0(Semi-Final) with 9 on the 2nd of April 2509
- Team with most Touchdowns (single match): Ragnars Swift Velocity(against the Tail Slammers) with 7 on the 4th of September 2508
- Team with most Casualties (single match): Tie between Karond Kar Corsairs (against the Man Eaters) and the Lustrian Snake Queens(against Wee Tree Fellows) with 6
From here we are sure the League competition will continue even stronger next year. If you have any comments or specific memories from the competition, let everyone know in the comments below.