Greetings Sports fans. It has been awhile since we have taken a look at the goings on in the league! Lets reverse that trend and take a look at Star players.
Believe it or not it has been 7 years since the HDWSBBL signed a contract with their agents and the NAF to allow the recognised star players to play in the league. At the time in 2511 it was a controversial decision with coaches both for and against bringing in outside help. In the end the fear that home grown stars would be ignored was overruled by the extra violence and amazing plays that stars could provide.
To celebrate we got our interns to take a look through the leagues archives and see what they could come up with.
- 50 of 66 recognised stars have played at least one game in the HDWSBBL.
- The 5 most popular stars are:
- Morg ‘n’ Thorg (55 games)
- Wilhelm Chaney (28 games)
- Deeproot Strongbranch (20 games)
- Zara the Slayer (17 games)
- Nobbla Blackwart (15 games)
- Star players have made 389 appearances in the league, or 297 unique matches.
- The league has spent a total of 92,520,000 gp on Hiring Star players, that is enough for 92 NEW teams (or Gerhards bonus for writing an article – whatever happened to him?)!
- The league has paid the top 5 stars 42,910,000 gp alone with 23,650,000 gp of that going to Morg! We know who is buying the next round!
- The biggest impact the stars have caused is an increase in causalities – 82 to be precise. Morg is responsible for 32 of these, but it is not surprising considering he has played more games than the vast majority of HDWSBBL players!
- No star player has ever made an interception!
- We have no recorded deaths or injuries of stars in the league (nothing to do with their contracts forbidding it – honest) – but they have killed 11 HDWSBBL players.
- Morg has personally claimed 3 lives, with Deeproot and Headsplitter claiming 2 each
- Star players have been the match MVP 24 times
- 11 Stars have played in a final, and won 18 HDWSBBL championships:
- Morg ‘n’ Thorg – 5 Championships (New World Conference Cup, The HDWSBBL Vase, The Shield x3)
- Eldril Sidewinder – 2 Championships (HDWSBBL Championship Cup, Old World Conference Cup)
- Wilhelm Chaney – 2 Championships (HDWSBBL Championship Cup, New World Conference Cup)
- Fezglitch – 2 Championship (HDWSBBL league Cup, the Shield)
- Hack Enslash – 1 Championship (HDWSBBL Championship Cup)
- Zara the Slayer – 1 Championship (HDWSBBL Championship Cup)
- Setekh – 1 Championship (HDWSBBL Championship Cup)
- Hubris Rakarth – 1 Championship (New World Conference Cup)
- Prince Moranion – 1 Championship (Old World Conference Cup)
- Icepelt Hammerblow – 1 Championship (Old World Conference Cup)
- Ugroth Bolgrot – 1 Championships (The Shield)
- The most popular season for star appearances was the 2511/12 season when the contract was signed with 64 appearances. The 2517/18 season came close with 61 games containing at least one star player. The current season (2518/19) has so far seen 25 matches with stars (out of 16 games!) – only time will tell if it will see more stars than any other season.
Who is hiring them
So, who are hiring these stars? The top 10 (ish) teams that have hired stars are:
- Gitz ‘n’ Shigglez – 14 occasions
- Tail Slammers – 14
- The Riverside Rainbows – 14
- Lightning Claws – 12
- Chaos All-Stars – 11
- Grudge Corsairs – 11
- Arcani’s All Sparks – 11
- The Asgard Marauders – 10
- Dark Wings of Fury – 10
- The Wild Brunch – 10
- Suderholm Snow Leopards – 10
- Warpstone Wanders – 10
Three of the teams on the list are active this season (highlighted above) so have a chance of hiring even more! Considering the form of teams, I don’t think it will help them much….
The Top ten hiring races are:
- Halfling – 42 stars hired
- Skaven – 41
- Human – 30
- Norse – 29
- Dark Elf – 23
- Goblin – 22
- Chaos Pact – 20
- Necromantic – 19
- Underworld – 18
- Chaos – 17
Over the past seven years all races have hired at least one star player for a match!
Are they worth it?
So are stars worth it? From raw statistics – no! On average they underperform per match with their HDWSBBL counterparts. Even special plays such as Deeproot scoring a Touchdown has been replicated by a Treeman in the league before (can anybody name said Treeman in the comments)?
However they are invaluable for making sure a team has a full roster on the pitch, and the fans they bring with them to the stadiums. For that they will always be worth it.
Ideally we would provide a detailed breakdown of if hiring a star increases your chances of winning, but we had to le the interns go home and see their families.
Nothing brings this more to life than the 11 star players who are HDWSBBL Champions! Originally star players were banned from finals but, like all rules, that was nothing a bribe or two could not change! Since then 5 stars have played in the final and won the HDWSBBL Championship itself. Would those teams have won the championship without help? That is still being debated in taverns across the old world to this day!
It does not look like Star players are going anywhere soon. Since their introduction the league has seen amazing growth and the stars have provided amazing memories for the teams. They are a helping hand when teams are desperate, and they allow HDWSBBL talent to make a name for themselves and take down a legend (and boy do they try)!
Sorry folks, it looks like Morg isn’t going anywhere soon!
On the Horizon it looks like even more stars are on the way as more legends make their return to the pitch. Once the HDWSBBL has worked out the arrangements with their agents we will let you know!